Mobile is increasingly becoming the digital engagement mode of choice for customers. In response, today’s CX leaders across industries are focusing on how to improve their mobile experiences and bring them at least to parity with — if not better than — their web-based experiences.
Unfortunately, data surrounding app use and churn rates reveals that many apps today are disappointing users. Let’s take a look at why this is happening, and how in-app support can be a game changer for companies’ mobile CX.
The current state of mobile CX
Mobile app churn is high
The average smartphone user has 80 apps on their phone, but only uses 9 apps per day and 30 apps per month. This means that more than 62% of their apps go unused each month.
Often when these apps are downloaded, they’re used only once. In fact, a quarter of mobile apps are used only once, and 71% of app users churn within the first 90 days of downloading an app.
The stakes can be high. Mobile apps are increasingly important to customers, and can make-or-break the relationship. Consumers are becoming more loyal to apps than brands: 3 in 10 smartphone and tablet owners said they would change banks if they weren’t satisfied with their mobile app.
The bottom line is that there’s not a lot of room for error in the mobile app space. If users aren’t satisfied, they’ll quickly abandon your app for someone else’s.
Mobile CX is letting app users down at critical moments
We know mobile is important. We know customer experience is important. Yet most mobile CX leaves app users feeling abandoned or frustrated. And just one moment of frustration can mean your app either gets removed or forgotten; another addition to the app graveyard that lives on most smartphone users’ devices.
Where is mobile CX going wrong? The standard practice of sending app users off the app for online customer support is clunky. Nearly half of all smartphone users said they are less tolerant of problems with apps than they were a few years ago. Sending these users with high expectations, low tolerance, and frustration to start a new experience inside a different app to resolve their issues with your app is a big — and risky — ask.
Although consumers are increasingly digital, we also know they are craving more human interaction. Offering a personal, humanized digital interaction can be a more efficient, effective, and memorable way to support users.
In-app support: providing seamless assistance in the moment and in context
What is in-app support?
In-app support allows company representatives to join customers in the app, right at their moment of need. There’s no extra download and no need to exit the app. Our latest version of Glance Mobile App Share (facilitated by the Glance Mobile SDK) offers:
- App screen sharing so that as a user scrolls and navigates, a representative can follow along and provide guidance
- Two-way video that connects customers and agents face-to-face
- Secure masking so agents can’t see customers’ personal or sensitive information
- Gesturing that lets agents indicate where a customer should click/tap
- Agent-side controls to change focus between the face-to-face interaction and app content
Why is in-app support important?
Glance Mobile App Share allows enterprises to deliver the same personal, human-to-human guidance Glance Cobrowse enables on the web right within their mobile app. Meeting customers’ needs in-the-moment and in context has substantial benefits.
- It gives customers the power of choice: they no longer have to leave their app to get personalized guidance from a company representative.
- It improves the customer experience. Glance is proven to increase CSAT, build customer loyalty, and boost lifetime revenue.
- It can increase revenue: one-third of customers would spend more with an organization that had a good mobile app.
- It provides a point of differentiation. The app space is incredibly competitive. Offering in-app support provides a point of differentiation and a memorable experience for customers.
How leading brands are using in-app support
Major brands worldwide use Glance Mobile App share to offer secure, personalized in-app support.
Wellness software company provides in-app guidance, support, and tutorials
MINDBODY, the world’s leading wellness services online marketplace and software platform, uses Glance to allow agents to join customers in their app, show them how to use the MINDBODY software, and guide them to point and tap their way to their own success. (Learn more here.)
Tax-preparation software company offers personal, one-on-one tax support within their app
Glance Mobile App Share empowers Intuit tax experts to deliver one-on-one, in-app guidance to TurboTax® customers. Customers using the TurboTax app can ask questions, while Intuit tax experts can view what’s on the user’s app screen. (Read the case study here.)
Banks provide secure, human-to-human support during high-stakes transactions right within their apps
Financial institutions trust Glance to provide next-level, human-to-human guidance right within their apps. Secure masking means agents can’t see customers’ personal or sensitive information, while gesturing allows agents to indicate where a customer should click/tap. And in high-value, high-stakes moments, customers appreciate having face-to-face connections that give them confidence and peace of mind.
Learn more about mobile CX and in-app support
Want to provide standout mobile experiences, but not sure where to start? Here are a couple of free resources to get started.
- Download the best practices eBook – Download our eBook, Guided CX in mobile apps: Best practices with Glance to read about the innovative ways companies use Guided CX to deliver standout mobile experiences.
- Register for our upcoming webinar – Join our upcoming webinar to learn how you can power omnichannel Guided CX across web and mobile with Glance Mobile App Share.